If you’re reading this old post you should probably also read my more recent (and better) thoughts on mobile communications.
Marketing with text messages is a different take on communicating with customers. It’s not simply a short email-type thing. Smart marketers are using SMS to build very close connections with the market, and even though the space is in its infancy there are some tried and true qualities.
As a quick introduction to text message marketing here are 10 simple guidelines, all short enough to be a text message (160 characters).
- Every text message will be opened and read by the recipient.
- Work smarter not harder. 3 or 4 messages a month is more than enough to engage your customers.
- You can collect consumer information like email and zipcode through text. Cheaper, faster and more accurate than paper signups at live events.
- SMS is a totaly no-spam medium. Sorry, cant buy lists. Good news is that every1 ur messaging wants to hear from you. Bad news is that you cant b boring or lazy.
- Your BIG DemoGraphics ttly get it! U bettr learn it SOON.
- You can reach people when they are actually making purchase decisions (without their TV or computers). How? Text the word FISH and THE NAME OF A FISH to 30644.
- Integrate with your existing CRM.
- Secure financial transsactions with 1 text message. Amount donated/purchased is added to the user’s mobile phone bill.
- It takes one push of a button to turn and SMS into a phone call, and everything is trackable.
- Imagine a list that reads every message, wants to hear from you and takes action on what you say. Conversions range from 15-80%.